The invention mobs project was designed to get our creative juices flowing as well as an effort to find the creativity inside of other people. The task was also made harder because we had to create a collaborative project that showed people’s creativity. As a group we thought and thought hard for a long time then finally decided that we were going to try and make a collaborative dance video. This was our first idea and it stuck with us throughout the entire invention mobs project. We chose the collaborative dance video as our project because it was a fun and innovative way to get a variety of people to participate in something that focused on our core of creativity.
The road to success was not an easy one. We had a very difficult time being able to get people to initially participate in the video. When we were initially brainstorming about the invention mob we kind of shrugged off the concept of it being hard to recruit people for the project. Quite frankly we figured we could easily get some inebriated person to just hop in and start dancing for us. Down the road, we learned that this was not the case. Getting people to participate in our video was the hardest part about this project. We had to create a reason for people to join our cause, but without using an actual physical incentive like money or food – free pizza always works in college. We had to appeal to a person’s rhetorical triangle. Their logos, ethos, and pathos. The pathos part was the easiest. All we had to do was tell them what we were doing and why and we gained instant credibility. The next easiest part was the ethos. Even though appealing to a person’s ethos was easier than appealing to their logos it was still difficult, since they had to be emotionally driven to complete the task that we asked of them. In my case when I filmed my friends dancing I had to make sure they were in the mood to dance by waiting until it was dark – for some reason people are more inclined to do outrageous things after dark. Then secondly I had to wait for music to be playing pretty consistently for a while before they wanted to dance. After they were in the general mood to show off their moves I set up my viewing angle with my phone and recorded the ensuing events. Finally the hardest part of the project was trying to appeal to a person’s logos. Their psyche would question why they would even do something like this. Participating in this video had the potential to be very embarrassing and their is very little for them to gain by participating in our video. We had no physical incentive for them to participate and the only thing they could potentially gain is “props” for having good moves and a good feeling of helping out a fellow classmate, but I’ll be honest no one hardly gets that feeling. Especially after doing something like this.
Through this entire video we, as a group, learned the art of persuasion. In order for any of us to get any participants we first had to tell them what we were doing and why and give them a reason and explanation of why we needed random people dancing. Then we had to convince them that they needed to participate for the good of the video and that it was also a good idea to participate. The convincing usually involved a lot of talking and convincing them that they weren’t bad dancers. Then I was usually able to get people to participate by asking them what they would want to dance to this usually included a very mainstream song that nearly everyone had heard about. This mainstream song also had a dance already choreographed to go with the music.The song that I used was the Macarena since almost every one knows the Macarena dance. It still took a few cuts to get a quality clip to use because we needed to rehearse the dance a little before we actually filmed it.
After finding a song that would work, and a dance that they were comfortable dancing to in front of the camera, and convincing them that they looked good enough to not be ridiculed when the video was finally viewed I was finally able to film them dancing to the song. This is why appealing to their sense of logos was the hardest part of the project. Even though it was hardest appealing to their logic, once we did they were fully on board to participate in our project.
The project itself was a success. We were able to get several clips of our friends busting some moves and put the dancing clips into a solid video that came together very smoothly. Putting the video together was an entirely different challenge all on its own. In order to put the final project together we needed to get all of the videos we collected into one single computer where we could edit and finalize the project. After days of trying to figure out how to get all of the videos onto one hard drive we were finally able put the clips into imovie. Imovie was the video editing software that we used to create the finalized video. Trying to finish the video was the biggest challenge because we had to not only put the clips together, but then find matching audio to go with the clips, then sync the audio clips to the video clips so that the people dancing actually looked like they were dancing to music, instead of looking like mindless idiots moving to nothing. Once we finally got the video and audio synced up we had to finalize and export the project in imovie. This was the last road bump we had on the road to a successful video. The exporting of the video took around two hours on the computer we originally had, but it ended up working out.
The video we made was a testiment to how many different people can come together around a single subject and create an awesome final product. The dance video highlighted the creative talents of people and the hilarity of the outcomes. Our entire group was very content with the outcome of the video.